Author Topic: Buoyancy? BL!TZ's Ongoing Anti-Hummingbird Dilema  (Read 1474 times)

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• ...somewhere...below...
  • REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Doing 1 knots and still sinking? Suddenly taking damage?

That crap was introduced by Stiebler - and it is utterly wrong crap.

I had the opportunity to speak to Kapitaenleutnant A. Wilhelm who said to me:
"I would shoot my LI if that would happen. It is his f... job to maintain depth when I order it"

So here is how to get rid of this nonsense in NYGM, GWM etc:

It is possible to edit the boat's cfg file to simulate neutral boyancy. You would be editing a boats configuation file, so of course the smart thing to do is make a copy and rename it *.old for a back-up. What file to edit depends on the Boat your carrer is using. For example the files periscope depth number and the actual neutral value. For this example a VIIB is used.

Open "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine"
    The VIIB folder is "NSS_U-Boot7b", open this folder and locate the NSS_U-Boot7b.cfg file.
    Make a copy - back up of this file.
    Using a quality text editor open "NSS_U-Boot7b.cfg" and locate:
        [Properties]
        PeriscopeDepth=13.5;meters

Note: 13.5;meters being a neutral attribute to buoyancy for this boat. This is the value to edit if desired.

The above is what I got from Danurve back in the days.

But does that really fix it?
All he does is change the periscope depth and nothing more. Makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: 20200103, 11:20:16 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

⚡️ Home of S3A - S3F - S3G - DEFTS3 -

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: BL!TZ's Ongoing Anti-Hummingbird Dilema
« Reply #1 on: 20190516, 11:46:32 »
Since it is unpatched could it be the "crash dive blues?"
Not quite, because CD was not ordered.

Care to provide more info and explain?
« Last Edit: 20200110, 15:45:33 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

rudewarrior

« Reply #2 on: 20200110, 15:00:16 »
Doing 1 knots and still sinking? Suddenly taking damage?

That crap was introduced by Stiebler - and it is utterly wrong crap.

I had the opportunity to speak to Kapitaenleutnant A. Wilhelm who said to me:
"I would shoot my LI if that would happen. It is his f... job to maintain depth when I order it"

A couple of things to consider here. I went back and RTFM'd the Stiebler patch and I would just like to point out that he implemented this as a carry over idea from AOTD. I have never played the game, so assuming it was there, it might be best to put this down to AOTD crap that has been recrapped.

I wish we had access to people like KplLt Wilhelm so I could ask some follow up questions (might have to bust out a ouija board). It is the LI's job, but exactly what does that entail? What actions can he take to maintain depth at silent running, e.g. is he allowed to temporarily run the bilge pumps if there is excessive build up of bilge water? Which brings me to:

So here is how to get rid of this nonsense in NYGM, GWM etc:

It is possible to edit the boat's cfg file to simulate neutral boyancy...

I remember reading in Das Boot that, at lower depths, the boat would actually compress and shrink. This implies lower volume. Since the buoyancy force is defined as:

Fb = Vs * D * g, where Vs, D, and g are defined as the volume of the submerged object, the density of the fluid the object is submerged in, and the gravitational constant, respectively,

this would imply that the buoyancy force decreases at greater depths, so they would have to at least account for that.

Not quite, because CD was not ordered.

Care to provide more info and explain?

If CD wasn't ordered then it is not the "crash dive blues." I just thought from the conversation that might have been overlooked, since, IIRC, the crash dive blues were fixed as part of the patches for SH3.exe.

rudewarrior

« Reply #3 on: 20200110, 18:32:22 »
the patches = which patch in particular?

It is in the h.Sie patch (not the Stiebler add on). However, he credits himself and Stiebler with that fix.

Also, I just wanted to mention I do use Stielber's Silent Running mod, but as I am playing, I have been reconsidering using certain features/mods, including this one.

In this particular case, referring to my above post about the pumping, how is this mod managed? In order to correct for the continuous dropping of depth, you can go off silent running, order a new depth and then immediately go back to silent running. If we assume the pumps can run in order to counteract this effect, how long do i go off silent running? The trade off is whether to have it at all vs. whether I feel like I am cheating when I take action to correct depth because the supposed bilge water is building up enough such that I have to do something about it. It would certainly seem that if you were getting DC'd and pinged at max depth and they already know where you are, and you had taken on enough water such that you were sinking past the max depth and you couldn't maintain it, that someone on the boat would order a suspension of silent running and pump the bilge off. This seems like the kind of decisions that have to be made in combat situations.

But, the question remains, for how long?

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
The dilemma continues...
« Reply #4 on: 20200321, 17:41:04 »

U-Boot is pointing UP (!) and yet I am going down!
U-Boot is doing 4kn straight forward ahead at 220m.
U-Boot is NOT damaged, NO crash dive previously ordered (in fact none at all).

Here are the dive planes marked in yellow:

warcatt00

Re: The dilemma continues...
« Reply #5 on: 20200322, 02:33:19 »

U-Boot is pointing UP (!) and yet I am going down!
U-Boot is doing 4kn straight forward ahead at 220m.
U-Boot is NOT damaged, NO crash dive previously ordered (in fact none at all).

Here are the dive planes marked in yellow:

:smiley_bosseord:
The boat is too heavy, apparently someone doesn't know, it is NOT realistic that the U-Boot just sinks like that, and taken a little thing and made it BIGGER than it really was. Much less how these vessels were made. The Logic IS, since SH5 dose it, this should too. Something like that maybe. But realistically, the issue is the boat is way too heavy. If you have a clean copy of the default game, find the U-Boot your using in the "Submarine" folder, copy the *.sim file from the default location, and copy that over to the game working folder.

Example: NSS_U-Boot7c.sim from the default game copy location to working game folder location (copy over mod version)...

**This should restore the boats correct functions as in the "default mode", not the "moded mode". Since this is a sim file for the boat model, you will not need to start any new game.**

NOTE: To you modders :16_down: , STOP with the weight already, STOP IT! The game sea dose not register correctly the buoyancy as in regards to SALT WATER, which is more buoyancy than FRESH WATER. Nor is the game set to register the forward trim tanks or the rear one that controls stability much less it's function, which is controlled by a "electric motor by battery" to maintain buoyancy control. I understand in Das Boot the Chief was asked to maintain the depth. But it seems everyone forgot it was that time, the sea was "stormy", and "ships, passing by", create this thing called a "wake", making it hard to keep the boat stable. A wake, is a motion of water that moves by wind or by a object or anything that cause a type of wave disruption. Such as, "you can see the small wake shape ring spread out when Stielber tossed the stone in the water.." as well as forgot, the game is not all that with the difference between buoyancy and inner space sinking.
Verstehst du?

How do these things sink? You seal the boat, by closing the outside vent lines, and exhaust ports. Once all the compartments are closed (that fancy light board you see with a set of lights on top and on bottom that just shines, and nothing else is the board that tells you all compartments are open or closed...), you open the forward and aft vents, the water comes in through them fancy looking black lines you see on the bottom side of the boat fore and aft, into the Ballast tanks, and the air escapes through the top until the boat sinks. Then that is sealed. So the Ballast tanks help the boat sink. Because once again, your forgetting that in between the skin of the hull and Ballast tanks is a...Pressure hull, "FULL OF AIR"(which is why the complaint they do not sink fast enough). The trim tanks are used to stable the boat while underwater and help control it's depth. After all, this is NOT a 1900 type of WWI boat like they are tended to be created by other moders. This is a state of the ART U-Boot. uses generators, electric motors and hydro pumps that work. Remember, this is SH3, a video GAME...

:rotekarte: If your going to make it sink because you like the idea of dying from implosion, don't call it realistic, call my dying implosion mod, and say "hey download my mod that cause you to sink all the time and imploded, don't worry about the war, you do not need that anyway. just use this and Die, die, die..woo hoo what FUN! Also I want download points, so down load it anyway.."  :yahoo:
lest THAT would be more realistic than your claim...
« Last Edit: 20200322, 03:29:47 by warcatt00 »