DEFF - The Doenitz Elite Flotilla Forum > MP - Multi Player Wolfpack-Actions

Buoyancy? BL!TZ's Ongoing Anti-Hummingbird Dilema

(1/2) > >>

REV_BL!TZKR!EG:
Doing 1 knots and still sinking? Suddenly taking damage?

That crap was introduced by Stiebler - and it is utterly wrong crap.

I had the opportunity to speak to Kapitaenleutnant A. Wilhelm who said to me:
"I would shoot my LI if that would happen. It is his f... job to maintain depth when I order it"

So here is how to get rid of this nonsense in NYGM, GWM etc:

It is possible to edit the boat's cfg file to simulate neutral boyancy. You would be editing a boats configuation file, so of course the smart thing to do is make a copy and rename it *.old for a back-up. What file to edit depends on the Boat your carrer is using. For example the files periscope depth number and the actual neutral value. For this example a VIIB is used.

Open "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine"
    The VIIB folder is "NSS_U-Boot7b", open this folder and locate the NSS_U-Boot7b.cfg file.
    Make a copy - back up of this file.
    Using a quality text editor open "NSS_U-Boot7b.cfg" and locate:
        [Properties]
        PeriscopeDepth=13.5;meters

Note: 13.5;meters being a neutral attribute to buoyancy for this boat. This is the value to edit if desired.

The above is what I got from Danurve back in the days.

But does that really fix it?
All he does is change the periscope depth and nothing more. Makes no sense to me.

REV_BL!TZKR!EG:

--- Quote from: DEF_rudewarrior on 20190515, 13:44:17 ---Since it is unpatched could it be the "crash dive blues?"

--- End quote ---
Not quite, because CD was not ordered.

Care to provide more info and explain?

rudewarrior:

--- Quote from: REV_BL!TZKR!EG on 20181026, 10:33:20 ---Doing 1 knots and still sinking? Suddenly taking damage?

That crap was introduced by Stiebler - and it is utterly wrong crap.

I had the opportunity to speak to Kapitaenleutnant A. Wilhelm who said to me:
"I would shoot my LI if that would happen. It is his f... job to maintain depth when I order it"
--- End quote ---

A couple of things to consider here. I went back and RTFM'd the Stiebler patch and I would just like to point out that he implemented this as a carry over idea from AOTD. I have never played the game, so assuming it was there, it might be best to put this down to AOTD crap that has been recrapped.

I wish we had access to people like KplLt Wilhelm so I could ask some follow up questions (might have to bust out a ouija board). It is the LI's job, but exactly what does that entail? What actions can he take to maintain depth at silent running, e.g. is he allowed to temporarily run the bilge pumps if there is excessive build up of bilge water? Which brings me to:

--- Quote from: REV_BL!TZKR!EG on 20181026, 10:33:20 ---So here is how to get rid of this nonsense in NYGM, GWM etc:

It is possible to edit the boat's cfg file to simulate neutral boyancy...

--- End quote ---

I remember reading in Das Boot that, at lower depths, the boat would actually compress and shrink. This implies lower volume. Since the buoyancy force is defined as:

Fb = Vs * D * g, where Vs, D, and g are defined as the volume of the submerged object, the density of the fluid the object is submerged in, and the gravitational constant, respectively,

this would imply that the buoyancy force decreases at greater depths, so they would have to at least account for that.

--- Quote from: REV_BL!TZKR!EG on 20190516, 11:46:32 ---Not quite, because CD was not ordered.

Care to provide more info and explain?

--- End quote ---

If CD wasn't ordered then it is not the "crash dive blues." I just thought from the conversation that might have been overlooked, since, IIRC, the crash dive blues were fixed as part of the patches for SH3.exe.

rudewarrior:

--- Quote from: REV_BL!TZKR!EG on 20200110, 15:44:50 ---the patches = which patch in particular?

--- End quote ---

It is in the h.Sie patch (not the Stiebler add on). However, he credits himself and Stiebler with that fix.

Also, I just wanted to mention I do use Stielber's Silent Running mod, but as I am playing, I have been reconsidering using certain features/mods, including this one.

In this particular case, referring to my above post about the pumping, how is this mod managed? In order to correct for the continuous dropping of depth, you can go off silent running, order a new depth and then immediately go back to silent running. If we assume the pumps can run in order to counteract this effect, how long do i go off silent running? The trade off is whether to have it at all vs. whether I feel like I am cheating when I take action to correct depth because the supposed bilge water is building up enough such that I have to do something about it. It would certainly seem that if you were getting DC'd and pinged at max depth and they already know where you are, and you had taken on enough water such that you were sinking past the max depth and you couldn't maintain it, that someone on the boat would order a suspension of silent running and pump the bilge off. This seems like the kind of decisions that have to be made in combat situations.

But, the question remains, for how long?

REV_BL!TZKR!EG:

U-Boot is pointing UP (!) and yet I am going down!
U-Boot is doing 4kn straight forward ahead at 220m.
U-Boot is NOT damaged, NO crash dive previously ordered (in fact none at all).

Here are the dive planes marked in yellow:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version