Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
OKM TOPPER

19400914, 10:27
VON: FdU
AN: U-74

KOMMANDANT KENTRAT!

RECEIVED. REPORT STATUS, POSITION AND CONVOY DETAILS USING S3Q AND ON OPERATION SPINNENNETZ.

CONTINUE AS PER ORDERS.

GOOD HUNTING!
KK SOHLER
7. U-Flottille
ARCHiVE (PUBLiC) / U-74 - VIIb - Eitel-Friedrich Kentrat - Log book entry
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220914, 00:56:37 »

14 Sept. 1940

Log book entry:

Having reached the Shetland Islands, I have a choice between a southern, or northern route. After studying recent new recon, I have decided to take the southern
route through Yell Sound. If we reach her at high tide, I think the Sound will be quite passable. We will wait till night fall of course.

Kentrat, LZS

Detailed intel on Yell Sound:

PUB - PUBLIC & GENERAL / Re: -HELP- Is this a VIIB or VIIC?
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220913, 12:54:23 »
Both Kentrat  and Gysae received their Knight's Cross that day on the same submarine. Question is; were they on Kentrat's or on Gysae's sub? I would guess, the dog and pony show took place
on the higher ranking officer's sub. I will have to see what Kentrat and Gysae's rank was at the time.

Thanks for responding! It is quite the mystery. I guess U-74 is a dive site, so you can still visit her.

:20_ani_marine:

von Spee
PUB - PUBLIC & GENERAL / Re: -HELP- Is this a VIIB or VIIC?
« Last post by DEF_Convoy_PQ17 on 20220913, 08:00:41 »
Should be U-74. Why should a Kommandant stand on any other bridge than his own?
PUB - PUBLIC & GENERAL / -HELP- Is this a VIIB or VIIC?
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220911, 00:14:03 »

I have been getting really into researching my campaign U-Boot; U-74. Sadly there are no known pictures available online, but I found this incredible auction;
someone in 2016 was selling a set of original photographs of  E.F. Kentrat being awarded the Knight's Cross on the deck of a submarine.

The set of pictures also included this picture, and I wondered who this man was. Of course I noticed the Knight's Cross around his neck, and on Dec. 31, 1941, TWO
people received the Knight's Cross; E.F. Kentrat and Robert Karl Friedrich Gysae, commander of U-98.

Kentrat commanded U-74 at the time and Gysae commanded U-98

U-74 was a VIIb, U-98 was a VIIc. If these pictures depict a VIIb model submarine. These might be the only known pictures of U-74 during WW2.
What is even more interesting; there is a picture of the crew. If this is a VIIb sub, this might be the only known picture of the crew of U-74 under Kentrat's command.

Can someone identify the submarine model based on these pictures?

The crew:

ARCHiVE (PUBLiC) / Night before E.F. Kentrat birthday celebration
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220910, 23:22:10 »

Tomorrow will be September 11th, a day we probably all hold dear in our hearts, for it was on this day in 1906, that one of the world's
premiere submarine aces was born; KptLt Eitel-Friedrich Kentrat.

Korvettenkapitän E.F. Kentrat has always been a hero of mine. Not just for how he handled himself on the battlefield, but also in social settings. Kentrat was not only
an officer, he was indeed a true gentleman. Few know that KptLt Kentrat conducted the longest submarine patrol in WW2 history; U-196 left Kiel on 13 March, 1943 and
reached Bordeaux on 23 October, 1943, 225 days later. During this passage, Kentrat lost over 30kg in weight. Kentrat was like a rock to his crew. He embodied bravery.

Some criticized him (including BdU!!!!) for not acting fast enough in the whole Bismarck affair, but quite frankly, the vessel's early defeat and unpreparedness showed the treachery
of its crew. Kentrat did what he could, and no more. Kentrat spent 2 years in enemy captivity.

On 31 Dec 1941, KptLt Kentrat received the Knights Cross.

Tonight will be a bit crazy as I approach Lerwick, Scotland in U-74; there will be drinking, a lot of SH3 hunting, and just celebration of life for someone who was a true hero.

This picture shows Eitel Kentrat receiving the Knight's Cross;

Tonight we raise a glass to Eitel!!!

von Spee
LZS

PUB - PUBLIC & GENERAL / Artificial Intelligence created U-Boot art
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220910, 02:29:29 »
I decided to use Midjourney Bot on Discord to create some AI art. The way it works is you type in /imagine[sentence] and the AI creates the image.
(https://midjourney.gitbook.io/docs/)

The first two images were created using the following text: "U-Boot rising from the ocean" The first image appears quite disturbing as their seems to be human bodies floating outside
the submarines hull.

This one is cool; "U-Boot wolf pack", AI decided it should be soldiers wearing what appears to be old style diving helmets?

Enjoy!

von Spee
LZS

ARCHiVE (PUBLiC) / Urgent Message Luftwaffe, Utsira Station.
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220909, 05:49:39 »
To: BdU, Officer of the day
From: Hauptmann Hans Schmidt, Luftflotte 5, Utsira Island.

One of our air patrols has been able to capture the sinking of SS Ingrid at the hands of U-74. The following film image was taken, showing the moment of her demise.
It is with much pride that I forwarded you this evidence. Soon the world will bask in Germany's Glory.

Signed,

H. Schmidt

ARCHiVE (PUBLiC) / Promotion: K Bildstein, extended diesel room duties.
« Last post by LoneUsr449 on 20220909, 05:35:16 »
Letter to be transmitted to BdU upon reaching port.

Supporting documentation K. Bildstein:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]