Author Topic: Abandoned Ideas  (Read 1834 times)

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• ...somewhere...below...
  • REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Abandoned Ideas
« on: 20191203, 20:16:13 »
Archive of abandoned ideas

Here I collect assessments about incoming ideas. Often I do what is proposed. But mostly I must reject because it only adds very unnecessarily to my workload - and I really can not do everything alone. So when I ask for help and do not even get timely responses back, then it is time to put it to rest. Just so you know.
« Last Edit: 20191203, 22:51:20 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

⚡️ Home of S3A - S3F - S3G - DEFTS3 -

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
DEFMAN - a starter's manual for new DEF-members
« Reply #1 on: 20200402, 16:38:28 »
DEFMAN - a starter's manual for new DEF-members

Log Entry in Admin Change-Log (="What's new?"):

- 20200402 - REMOVED: DEFMAN - a starter's manual for new DEF-members.

Description:

DEFMAN was a nice idea to offer some sort of a first overview as a quickstart so that a new member who wants to have it printed out gets MAXIMUM 2 pages and can work them through QUICKLY and avoid the standard excuse "Oh, I am not computer savvy and it is oh so much to read, therefore I completely avoid it then".

Assessment:

We have been meaning to release all this for ages, in various forms, and always ended up not doing it because "we would just have to clean it up a bit first...". Members were just not working on it hard enough, people came and went, leaving it all unfinished. Most did not even get it into their brains that DEFMAN was not meant to be another "GWX-manual" or a rewrite of it or that it would be totally useless to have everything of the forum taken, copied and put into a document (we would have to change/update in 2 locations then). DEF-members should not receive a "novel" that they can then either ignore like all requests by GD or put it under their pillow to sleep on. Reworks began on 20171011 and after 3 years of running after and waiting for people it was still not done, so I pulled the plug. I believe we got bogged down and totally sidetracked by totally unimportant details and things that definitely do NOT belong in that manual, but rather in our forum - or in videos!

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Deleted without substitution.
« Last Edit: 20220317, 09:07:29 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
The Fusion of DEFORD and JFO
« Reply #2 on: 20200531, 14:55:18 »
The Fusion of DEFORD and JFO

- 20200508 - Project 'The Fusion of DEFORD and JFO' abandoned.

Description:

In the process of increasing immersion for SP/CP (Single Players who are active as Campaign Participants) we deemed it interesting to have both available as draggable sheets in game: Orders created the historic way using DEFORD and the very comprehensive information that JFO provides, making it two, if not three, drag-sheets that would be updated by another DEF-module so the information displayed would match the wartime that you are actually playing in.

Assessment:

Let us face the facts. SH3 SP/CP is obviously only played by mentally sick or otherwise retarded individuals who can not be bothered to follow easiest instructions, get things right or even write their own mother-language in a halfway decent manner, who refuse to pay attention and rather throw their money to SuSi, i.e. those who sabotage us, mobbed us out with absurd accusations and deleted our development/mod-threads.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Traitor booted. Project deleted. I am not willing to waste my time UNPAID for nothing and see how all money and praise goes past my group. To those who want such stuff: Go and ask where you throw your money!!

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
CPP - The Current Patrol Period
« Reply #3 on: 20200531, 15:05:16 »
CPP - The Current Patrol Period

- 20200416 - REMOVED: CPP - The Current Patrol Period.

Description:

CPP was an idea of our predecessor and competitor-groups to run a campaign in a synchronized manner thoughtout all participating members. The dream was to sail in the same time-frame as in the same war period.

Assessment:

It has never worked because members are mostly unreliable and do not care about others waiting for them. All the time it has been the same, the fastest player got upset about the biggest slowpoke. Waste of time to run after those, too often disappointed about them dropping out without even considering common courtesy (quote by gatordad) to at least reply with a oneliner. The know-it-alls like BSTANKO and so on often cried for it to have more "realism", but those were the first who dropped out and thereby preseting a catastrophic example themselves.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Removed this bullshit without replacement. With release of DAPP version 13 all campaigns are open to all active members, no more synchronization. Everyone to play at his own pace. GREY EMINENCE has just finished the U-Boot-tables for the first flotillas and I am going to put the code together.
« Last Edit: 20211119, 11:26:03 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Assign U-Boot and U-Boot-Type from game data
« Reply #4 on: 20200622, 12:33:48 »
Assign U-Boot and U-Boot-Type from game data

- 20200609 - REMOVED: Assign U-Boot and U-Boot-Type from installed game data.
- 20200612 - [UPDATED] FLOTILLA TOOL: [DAPP] - |DEF|-Applicator V13.4.0.0b NEW pick-program-code complete!

Description:

This idea came up when we were discussing how to assign proper U-Boote already in the application-process for DEF, so the new member (the recruit) would be capable of picking a correct U-Boot in the correct war-flotilla using which he would then commence his Kommandant-career in DEF right away. How if we assigned U-Boot + Typ to new members by reading what the game data of the installed mod offers, e.g. select the installation-path and then read from what files?

Assessment:

As is my prerogative, I review and filter ideas based on priority and what I actually can do. I was thinking this could be an interesting idea in the process of adding immersion to the gameplay in DEF. I have waited for reactions, ideas AND HELP to compile the necessary data for almost 9 months now.
"Details on the next abandoned idea": show

I need this data:

For each flotilla the U-Boote with START and END-date of their service, example:
F01
U-7, 193909, 194006
U-9, 193909, 194006
loadout(comes later, let us first get this started)

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Traitor booted. Project deleted after 9 (!) months waiting in vain for ANY input at all. I am not willing to waste my time UNPAID for nothing and see how all money and praise goes past my group. To those who want such stuff: Go and ask where you throw your money!!

Reading from the game-installation gives only a very limited range on available U-Boote. More interesting to me was to see how S3C does that when you begin your career using it. And I programmed a compatible solution in the meantime. This way of picking flotilla+base+U-Boot+Typ+Kommandant is now published in DAPP for everyone to use.
« Last Edit: 20211119, 11:26:34 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
SH3-AiO-Sound-Mod
« Reply #5 on: 20200624, 14:36:32 »
SH3-AiO-Sound-Mod

- 20200624 - 'SH3-AiO-Sound-Mod' abandoned. Files to be published.

Description:

After I had brought (almost forced Han Solo) back to modding SH3, we began with WAC 5.0. In the process of increasing immersion sound-wise we deemed it also necessary to overhaul the many times bad sound in WAC. Desertstriker volunteered to do this and created a thread like mine for WAC.

Assessment:

We have seen desertstriker never finishing his/her/trans/homo/its work and never actually getting this to version 1. On the other hand we saw how low someone can go as to stage one's own death (read: DESERTSTRIKER is not dead as announced!) so this will never be continued unless I disclose the files so someone else does or can do it.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted. Files to be published soon.

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
DEFM - The Doenitz Elite Flotilla Manager
« Reply #6 on: 20200625, 11:54:48 »
DEFM - The Doenitz Elite Flotilla Manager

- 20200625 - 'DEFM - The Doenitz Elite Flotilla Manager' abandoned.

Description:

The idea was here to facilitate staff-members so they can then assign or change the AWARDS that are shown on the signature of the players and make changes to their userdata. I had even added functions to "Add PBP-Entry" and "List all PBP-Entries and total for user x".
"screenshots": show

Assessment:

It is almost a mission impossible to find RELIABLE members who keep up the work and help REGULARLY and do not disappear for weeks. We have seen so many being oh-so-enthusiastic, but then loitering around and never finishing anything and eventually they drop out from the roster, so what for I ask...

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted.

Footnote: Found some code-notes from 20170927:
[DEFME] = DEF-Member-Editor =
  • checks for working connection and current version
    • if not: informs user, ends program
  • checks if another staff-members is already working in such a session
    • if yes: informs user, ends program
  • loads current userdata-files from server
  • identifies user
  • creates session-file and stores it on server
  • logs it
  • looks for new applications created by DAPP
  • imports all new applications
  • saves import-lines to log
  • presents a menu where the user can
    • REJECT an invalid application
      • remove the current user AND his application
      • sends an email to the applicant informing him
      • logging the incident with a oneliner
    • REMOVE the currently displayed user
      • after confirmation the user will be removed (stored in log)
    • SAVE changes made to server
      • current udb is renamed for dated backup
      • new files are sent to server
    • EXIT the tool
      • session-files and temporary files are removed.
      • log is renamed and new log is stored on server.
« Last Edit: 20211021, 19:47:42 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
SH3-Auto-MiS-Creator
« Reply #7 on: 20200808, 16:51:58 »
SH3-Auto-MiS-Creator

Description:

Back on the #1 crap-talker-forum, I announced on 20160927 that I had found a working way to auto-create MultiPlayer-missions for SH3.

Assessment:

We have seen (and we still see!) how difficult it is to receive support for [S3MA] - THE SILENT HUNTER III - MISSION ARCHIVE. So many missions still untested, so many missions still to go. At the moment of just now me writing this, we still have 1340 files to go through.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted. We continue to push the throttle with the existing files, it is plenty of them!
« Last Edit: 20211103, 12:34:08 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
[S5Y] - The Silent Hunter V - Configurator for Your U-Boot
« Reply #8 on: 20200819, 11:59:52 »
[S5Y] - The Silent Hunter V - Configurator for Your U-Boot

- 20200819 - '[S5Y] - The Silent Hunter V - Configurator for Your U-Boot' abandoned due to lack of support.

Description:

Somewhen 2016/2017 I had thought this would be a helpful utility because one can finally play without UPLAY LAUNCHER and have a number of bugs fixed and so I wrote it. Eventually some fool just insisted on stating that this has never been done. Well yes, that thing exists and do not believe rumours before you have spoken with me - because I am the author!

Screenshot of last version:

Assessment:

Instead of appreciation or support I was mobbed out from SuSi. Only 1 person was interested and helped testing! I can still hear TDW asking me why I keep modding the 'old dinosaur SH3' and also I hear the guys go like LEECH, LEECH, WHERE CAN I GET IT? Nowhere. I cannot be bothered to release it, because apparently there is no true interest in that. I am fed up and done seeing one after another donating 50+ bucks to SuSi and asking ME to do all the work for nothing. Until then once more...START DONATING SOMETHING TO THOSE WHO DO THE WORK or you will never get it...

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted. I again returned to SH3 and left SH5 behind a second time...
« Last Edit: 20211225, 14:29:32 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
SH3 v1.7b
« Reply #9 on: 20211103, 12:17:12 »
SH3 v1.7b

Description:

Already drafting up some code I announced on 20210415 that I want to see AHEAD if there is TRUE appreciation of what I am doing. Not by words, by actions! I wrote: "Everybody who would like this be published (an as all my tools it will of course be free) NOW TOSS IN SOME DIMES, if the fundraiser reaches 300 bucks, I will sit down and complete the code. Should take me 1 or 2 weekends including testing, so try to find a programmer for only 300 bucks and you will see how cheap this is."
What will this new version offer?
- automatic update to UBiPATCH 1.4 (necessary for old DVDs)
- automatic install of H.Sie's V1.6b1 including the 4GB-Tuning (S3H)
- automatic install of Stiebler's addon-code 4C (S3S)
- automatic install of Tycho's full-map-patch and Chrono-Fix (S3TC)
- automatic install of Faderberg's legacy-version (S3FBL)

Assessment:

After more than 6 months I have seen that the community obviously prefers to whine, complain and donate to become SuSi-overlords, but is refusing to support those who actually do all the work. I have instructed The Shark to close the moneypool (Paypal ceases moneypool-operations anyway) and have the money be transferred to DEF-server-costs.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted. A lot of the code is ready. I will go and complete it when I find time and when I like - or maybe not at all. The community does obviously NOT DESERVE my efforts. Well... then let them whine and complain... they have had their chance...
« Last Edit: 20211103, 12:36:03 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    75%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Fusion of S3C and KSDC
« Reply #10 on: 20211105, 19:09:52 »
Fusion of S3C and KSDC

Description:

20180414 Warham wrote: "Hello comrades! Sorry to get lost. I have no free time at all. And there are no prerequisites for it to appear, rather the opposite: I will no longer be able to support KSD Commander. Basically, it would work independently. But the developers of IL2 BZS cut off access to their server, which they once provided. I do not know what the reason is. To understand it would require to correspond with them which is again a lot of time and it is not a fact that they will go to a meeting. I leave a link to the Yadisk with the KSDCommander sources(LINK IS DEAD BY NOW). If there is someone who wants and can find and deploy a server, then everything will work again. Having sources and desire, you can develop the project. Everything is written in C# and the server side of the program needs a Windows server to work." (translated using gTranslate, because I do not understand Russian)

Assessment:

I wanted to exchange with him further, he never responded. Also the community shows no interest in this. I still have all source-codes, even his Kriegsmarine-music-library.

Consequence:

:rotekarte: Project-thread deleted. I will continue my S3Q instead of wasting my time on somebody else's work. And when I like I might look at the code again - or maybe not at all. The community does obviously NOT DESERVE my efforts...