Author Topic: ARCHiVE: The Adventures of "LoneUsr449"  (Read 1486 times)

LoneUsr449

U-74 - VIIb - Eitel-Friedrich Kentrat - Log book entry
« Reply #15 on: 20220914, 00:56:37 »

14 Sept. 1940

Log book entry:

Having reached the Shetland Islands, I have a choice between a southern, or northern route. After studying recent new recon, I have decided to take the southern
route through Yell Sound. If we reach her at high tide, I think the Sound will be quite passable. We will wait till night fall of course.

Kentrat, LZS

Detailed intel on Yell Sound:

Offline Herbert Sohler

• BdU/Flottillenchef
  • ...making progress!
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • Chef 7UF
OKM TOPPER

19400914, 10:27
VON: FdU
AN: U-74

KOMMANDANT KENTRAT!

RECEIVED. REPORT STATUS, POSITION AND CONVOY DETAILS USING S3Q AND ON OPERATION SPINNENNETZ.

CONTINUE AS PER ORDERS.

GOOD HUNTING!
KK SOHLER
7. U-Flottille
« Last Edit: 20221004, 11:48:40 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

LoneUsr449

U-74; Off the coast of Out Skerries island
« Reply #17 on: 20220914, 22:31:13 »

Personal Log:

We have reached Out Skerries island in AN21. Because I spent the whole night evading an enemy warship, we reached the Shetland Islands during the morning hours.
There is already too much daylight to pass through Yell Sound. I am considering going around the Shetlands entirely, via the northern passage, but I have reviewed reconnaissance
of potential mines in the area, directly due north of Shetland. I will wait for nightfall and hopefully continue to evade warships. I have ordered all physical activities to a minimum to
preserve oxygen.
Yell Sound, as crazy as the idea is, will certainly not have mines, since it is heavily used by fishermen during the day. And since the water is shallow in areas, nobody will expect a
U-boot full of salty Germans to come floating by at night.

My calculations were correct. We find ourselves in this dark, moody and foggy place during high tide. But there are still going to be areas where the conning tower will stick
out of the water. I had one of my NCOs deploy the dinghy early this morning, and in the cover of darkness he retrieved a large bundle of brush and sticks. I ordered these mounted
all around the top deck and conning tower, to break up the solid lines. I must admit, it greatly improves the camouflage of the whole thing.

Going through Yell Sound is crazy, and the more I think about it, the more crazy it starts to sound...but I suppose war is crazy. This is the first time during our
patrol that I wonder if this will be my last log entry.

But we are the spear that turns our Führer's dreams into reality. More now then ever, must we have courage.

Eitel Friedrich Kentrat, Lt zS
U-74, Commanding

Recon, Luftwaffe
- Top Secret -
Out Skerries, Shetland Islands

My men did their best to try and break up the silhouette of the top deck and conning tower. As we slid by the first light house, I knew the fog might save us.
The light of the full moon seemed bright and terrifying.

(Midjourney AI)

« Last Edit: 20220917, 01:05:26 by DEF_Heinz von Spee »

LoneUsr449

First (legit) Strike!
« Reply #18 on: 20220919, 01:21:08 »
To: BDU

I used Operation Spinnennetz to upload positional information to HQ.

Current position is 10 km NNE of Torshavn, Faroe Islands.

We located an ASW Trawler and fired a torpedo, due to poor AoB calculation, the thing actually bounced off the hull of the trawler and exploded away from the ship!
U-74 was re-positioned, to give an approx AoB of 80 degrees, and from a distance of approx. 800m, the target was engaged with a second torpedo. The vessel was hit.
It actually appears as though the torpedo cut a hole straight through the hull of the ship.
We noticed many of the enemy sailors were trying to use life boats; a 3rd torpedo was fired, hitting the vessel once again, and sinking her almost immediately.
All enemy combatants on board the vessel are presumed dead.

Glory to the Reich!

E. K.

The 2nd torpedo fired finds its target. The torpedo seems to have ripped a hole through the entire hull;

The moment of 2nd impact, the vessel sank moments after.

(Since we all have see in game renditions of sinking ships, I decided to use a different approach and once again use Midjourney.
it allows you to feed it image links, and gives its interpretation back to you.)

LoneUsr449

Massive tactical error - Destination; Papey Island.
« Reply #19 on: 20220919, 17:33:37 »
Captain's Personal Log, U-74

The men are exhausted! I made a tactical miscalculation by not addressing their need for proper sleep and rest sooner. The journey...it just seems to never end...
Hours become days, days become weeks...The men seem to have already forgotten our triumph at Faroe Islands. I have overheard some of the men whisper about
AE1742, they say the place doesn't exist. Some even go as far as saying ours is a one-way journey, that was doomed from the moment we left Kiel.

After I took my Officer's Oath to Germany and Der Fuhrer, and received my commission, my grandfather gave me a small leather pouch containing eight, 20 Mark
gold pieces. As he tucked it under my uniform, he told me; "I want you to do your very best for our Fuhrer, but always keep Kaiser Wilhelm close to your heart, in case of an emergency".

Tonight I know is that emergency. I have ordered course towards Papey Island, Iceland. I will have the dinghy deployed and have one of my best NCOs visit the island.
I will use some of my grandfather's gold to buy cream, eggs, cakes and meat for the crew. Men will always be at war, but I have yet to meet an honest or dishonest farmer
who doesn't accept gold pieces for payment.

Signed,

Eitel

Available Recon for Papey Island is very limited.

Due to its volcanic nature, there are deep troughs that allow you to get quite close to Iceland proper, despite the region having shallow water
Though hard to see, on the map you will see these darker blue regions. I will use this to get within several kilometers of Papey Island.

« Last Edit: 20220921, 02:42:06 by DEF_Heinz von Spee »

LoneUsr449

Private Letter to Ingrid
« Reply #20 on: 20220920, 03:55:15 »
My Dearest Ingrid,

The craziest thing happened today...the observation periscope malfunctioned...Normally this wouldn't be of terrible concern, I would trust one of my
men to fix it, but there is the awkward business of my court-martial of Fähnrich zur See Otto Weinrich, and his execution atop the deck of U-74 near Bergen.
I could have sworn he was messing with the periscopes...I saw it Ingrid...I saw him do it....

The men whisper I have grown paranoid and distant, since we left Kiel. I must admit, sleep is hard to come by in this tin can I call home....and I have been hearing
things at night...snapping noises.....but nobody else seems to hear it..

I have become rather worried about the periscopes...I now check them feverishly, every 20-30 minutes. The men....they are starting to worry a bit. Luckily they know not to disobey
their Kommandant.

I have decided this information was best kept out of the ship's official log. It only belongs in your heart, my dearest Ingrid.

Yours forever,

Eitel

Offline Karl Doenitz

• BdU/Flottillenchef
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote
= PROMOTION FOR HEINZ VON SPEE =
« Reply #21 on: 20220920, 09:31:40 »
OKM TOPPER

Kommandant Kentrat!

DANKE! FOR YOUR FINANCIAL HELP. MORE LIKE THIS IS NEEDED TO KEEP UP THE WAR!
YOUR RANK (HERE: USER-LEVEL ON DEFF) HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO [--=|DEF|=-- Donator]. AND DESERVEDLY SO!

HEIL DEF!
KARL DOENITZ
« Last Edit: 20220922, 23:06:18 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »

LoneUsr449

July 1940, somewhere 100 km south of Iceland.

And there he was, my finest bootsmann; Adelbert Leder, with a smile so big, I forgot we were at war...

When I sent a man to Papey island in the dinghy, carrying three of my grandfathers gold pieces, I sent my best.
Bootsmann Leder is one of the finest young men that Germany has entrusted to me.
Tonight, as he had returned from his mission to buy eggs, cream, meat and cakes for the crew, a loud knocking came at the hatch to my quarters.
I yelled for him to come in, and Leder and two other sailors, entered with smiles so big, I forgot we were at war.

Bootsmann Leder began to explain that, to his best assessment, Papey Island was unsuitable for most farming. He had made contact with a farmer on the
island, who had explained to him he could sell him two things; potatoes and potato vodka. After Leder told the farmer he came carrying german gold, the man had looked
at the dinghy, counted a couple times using all ten fingers, and said "Lets start loading her up, it will be dawn soon".

And so it came to be that this young, german rascal who had been entrusted with so much, returned with only one thing; enough potato vodka for the crew to get besauft, and then some...

Of course I stared at Bootsmann Leder in complete bewilderment; the man had just told me he spent enough gold to buy a Berlin family food for 2 months, and came back with
nothing but flasks of potato vodka...

His smile instantly faded, I think I saw fear in his eyes, as he asked me if there would be a court-martial, like Otto's?

Then the idea came to me. The crew was exhausted, my officers needed rest. It had been a long journey, and we weren't even halfway.

I ordered Leder to take some bed sheets off the sailors' racks and hang them in the forward quarters. We placed some lighting behind the sheets, cleared charts and paperwork from
the tables and turned the gramophone to its highest setting. That night aboard U-74, as Lale Andersen sang her angelic songs, there were no ranks, no bootsmann and officers..
we were friends. Tough, proud, scared...

I never saw men laugh so much, and as Leder looked back at me and gave me a big smile, I realized I had just become a captain. My commission from Doenitz meant nothing.
Tonight I became a commanding officer...when I gave these young men an evening of reprieve from war, while singing to Lili Marleen and drinking Iceland's finest potato vodka.

I made a small painting of the scene, for my dearest Ingrid. She knows I secretly like to paint.

Midjourney AI:  Top image:  "Young german sailors getting drunk on potato vodka, big smiles, realistic faces, unreal engine, octane render"
                         Bottom image:  "Kriegsmarine sailors sitting around a table getting drunk on potato vodka inside a submarine"

The images aren't actually pulled from the web, the AI creates them based on sentences. It works best with full sentences versus keywords.
I then edit/age the images using Gimp. Role-play is adjusted to fit images.
« Last Edit: 20220922, 21:20:06 by DEF_Heinz von Spee »

LoneUsr449

Reykjavík; Iceland's Honey Hole
« Reply #23 on: 20220923, 23:27:16 »
As I am finally within 400-500km of AE1742, I figured I might as well check out Reykjavík harbor.... :juas: I had no idea that there would be so many fish.

There are two main targets; 1) My first ever tanker, the thing looks huge even at 2+ km distance. It's docked and no movement (pic below)
2) my first ever "Large Merchant"

What is difficult about Reykjavík harbor is once you commit to go in there, you can get trapped pretty easy from the north. Which might be happening to some extent.
There are now 2 warships coming towards me, but I think they are just patrolling. I haven't been spotted. Total depth is 16 meters, so pretty shallow also.

Interestingly enough there is a US torpedo boat patrolling the harbor. This is accurate in that after England's invasion of Iceland, the defense of the island was taken on by the
still neutral, US.

I have not dealt with torpedo boats yet. The thing is zipping around the harbor fast. I don't know of any real life evidence of torpedo boats attacking U-boots, I suppose its possible.
I am going to position such that I will be within 1 klick of the large merchant, and the tanker. Hopefully sink them both for a huge tonnage, while still getting the hell out of Dodge.

Absolutely thrilling. I am currently using silent running mode. Just creeping closer, hoping to fire 2 torpedoes on each target before leaving.

von Spee
« Last Edit: 20220924, 23:09:03 by DEF_Heinz von Spee »

LoneUsr449

Reykjavík, Iceland
« Reply #24 on: 20220924, 01:18:40 »

As we approached the Iceland coast and Reykjavík harbor, the night sky was  completely illuminated by the Northern Lights.

LoneUsr449

America enters the war!
« Reply #25 on: 20220924, 04:48:37 »
To: BdU

Sank large tanker, using 4 torpedoes.
Tanker appears to have been of US origins.
Due to its large refueling potential of enemy crafts, decision was made to destroy the vessel.
We took fire from cruiser, but were able to escape.
Continuing on to final destination (600km).

E.F. Kentrat
U-74, Commanding

America enters the war!

Offline Herbert Sohler

• BdU/Flottillenchef
  • ...making progress!
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • Chef 7UF
You can NOT be serious!
« Reply #26 on: 20220924, 08:28:46 »
OKM TOPPER

19400717, 08:27

KOMMANDANT KENTRAT!

YOU MUST BE KIDDING! ARE YOU SERIOUSLY INDICATING YOU JUST ATTACKED AND SANK NEUTRAL SHIPPING? DOENITZ WILL NOT BE AMUSED TO LEARN OF THIS!

INVESTIGATION PENDING.

KK SOHLER
7. U-Flottille

LoneUsr449

GLORY TO GERMANY!
« Reply #27 on: 20220924, 18:46:02 »
        My beautiful Ingrid,

Tonight we struck fear into the very heart of the enemy! As we silently entered Reykjavík
                    Harbor, we spotted, and sank a massive US tanker, destined for the shores of England.
                    The instant the 2nd torpedo struck, military vessels started to search for us, but to no avail
                    my love, der wolf was already gone!

The men needed this victory. I needed this blasted victory.
                    Sohler already sent me a dreadful message about attacking a neutral party.
                    He knows damn well that Doenitz, nor our glorious Führer would want all that fuel
                    to reach England.

I did what I did, and I stand by it.

Yours forever,

Eitel

p.s. You know how Doenitz can get, my love...best you get some Gelbwurst from
                    Das braune Schwein, and have it delivered to his office.                     

LoneUsr449

The last known message received from U-74 and its crew
« Reply #28 on: 20220924, 19:02:19 »
To: BdU

We have been spotted off the west coast of Iceland

-stop-

Enemy airplane deployed depth charge

-stop-

crash dive to 80m ordered

-stop-

U-74 has been severely damaged

-stop-

Reporting heavy flooding in all forward and aft compartments

-stop-

May God have mercy on our souls

-stop-

I love you Ingrid

-stop-

Eitel Kentrat, LZS
U-74, Commanding

Offline Herbert Sohler

• BdU/Flottillenchef
  • ...making progress!
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • Chef 7UF
U-74: Please Respond and confirm position and status
« Reply #29 on: 20220924, 19:10:24 »
OKM TOPPER

19400724, 14:22

U-74, Please report status. Confirm location and extent of damage to U-74.

KK SOHLER
7. U-Flottille
« Last Edit: 20220925, 04:13:48 by Herbert Sohler »