Author Topic: [HOWTO] Fix: SH3 is open when it is not? Rundll32.exe problem with games!  (Read 670 times)

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• ...somewhere...below...
  • REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Over in WoFF and WotR there was an issue that came up very recently where the game would not run on first load, but then did on the second attempt. Odd, but that is what I see happening on my computer with SH3 as well. SH3.exe is shown running with very little memory coverage, rougjly 3000 bytes only.

From what I found, it APPARENTLY relates to rundll32.exe which continues to run after closing the failed attempt and this solution is offered:
go to windows\syswow64\ and rename gameux.dll to something without .dll extension
Ref: https://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

Another way (need to find out if this is better):

• Run Regedit.
  • Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\GameUX\ServiceLocation
  • Therein select "GAMES" and empty it, confirm with OK.

THANKS ANVAR for additionally providing a automated solution, a script by 'Ubeogesh'.
I have put that file onto our server because you never know when those files are lost otherwise.
Here it is for everyone:

I am going to try this out and investigate further. See you on TeamSpeak (our meetings are in our calendar) if you want to know how things evolved...

Further investigations evolved that this behavior is related to GameUX.dll.

Said DLL attempts to phone home to get a DVD-inlet-picture for SH3 (MyDocuments\myPictures\SH3.jpg) and tells Microsoft that you are going to play SH3 now. If no connection can be established this will fail, causing said DLL to wait until timeout (estimated 5mins), after which the game will be started. No human user is patient enough (understandably) to wait so long, which is why the usual user double-clicks a second time.

This entire problem was heavily discussed on Microsoft-Servers and it occured first on Win7 before 04/2015.

Conclusion: Renaming said DLL will eliminate this problem, but will also take down the "GameManager" in Win7, on which other installed games may relay on.

My personal opinion: Nobody needs that bloodly "GameManager".
« Last Edit: 20210125, 07:15:13 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

⚡️ Home of S3A - S3F - S3G - DEFTS3 -