Author Topic: [TEC] Reworking Annoying Ship Recognition Manual  (Read 701 times)

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• ...somewhere...below...
  • REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Thesis:

The Recognition Manual is cluttered with different GFX, some have target zones, some not, some have a light background, some have darker ones and the sorting is very questionable. You have to click too much, too long to find what you would easily find IF the ships were ALL sorted from A-Z.

This thread describes what can be done and what must be done.
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

⚡️ Home of S3A - S3F - S3G - DEFTS3 -

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: [TEC] Reworking Annoying Ship Recognition Manual
« Reply #1 on: 20181127, 13:36:31 »
I am still stuck in the SORTING.

Section "Handelsschiffe"
BEGINS with:
  • LUSBremen=Linienschiff TS Bremen
  • Catham Zaza
and ENDS with:
  • Walfangjaeger
  • Schute_M1=Motorisierte Hafenschute
Where is this order of appearance in the recognition manual stored?

It is NOT in the GermanNames.cfg
And it can NOT be in the SEA-folder of the class.
And it is not by tonnage.

Is it this order:
;Merchant ships
Type100=Replenishment
Type101=Tanker
Type102=Cargo
Type103=Troop Transport
Type104=Coastal Vessel
Type105=Environmental

HELP!

EDiT: Some self declared village idiot has answered me, he wrote:
The sort order is somewhere in Hard Code and I do not know exactly where.
 What it does is starts with the TYPE11 BattleShips and places them in Alphabetical order then moves down to TYPE10 etc...

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: [TEC] Reworking Annoying Ship Recognition Manual
« Reply #2 on: 20181127, 13:36:53 »

Yes, but how do I get that sorting done?
How do I get the recog. manual sorted BY NAME (A-Z)

@DSERT:
Can we use this as background?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2

AFAIK, it can't be done (sorted by A-Z)

@Blitzkrieg: will you take care of the .sil images in order all of them to have the same background ?

No, I am no good at GFX.

But I have uploaded the image CONVERTED TO .TGA:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=5169

Hope this helps...

And how about these:
Color Recognition Manuals
B/W Recognition Manuals

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    62.5%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Response by 'EmeAzul'
« Reply #3 on: 20181127, 13:37:27 »
Recognition Manual Source and Structure
Schlechter, the source of the information you are looking for is the individual ships' CFG file, in the Ships' named Folder under the main Sea folder, where it lists the ClassName, Unittype, MaxSpeed, Length, Width, Mast, Draft and Displacement. You should find these same values in the SH3 Commander's CFG file, under "Ship Displacements". I'm not sure if this Commander file overrides the Ships individual CFG file, but I make them totally consistent to be on the safe side. The displacement value shown in the Regocnition Manual for the ship in question will differ a bit based on the Random defaults specified (5% up or down in my case).

As to the structure, it basically displays the ships in either Alphabetic or Numeric order, as taken from the EnglishNames.cfg file (or FrenchNames or GermanNames) found at the bottom of the main Sea Folder. The order of the UnitTypes seems to be fixed as UnitType 103 (Transports), 101 (Tankers), 102 (Merchants), 100 (Supply Tenders) and 104 (Coastals). Then the Warship UnitTypes follow in order of BBs, CAs, CLs, CVs, DDs, DEs and PBs. I'm a GWX user, but I suspect this same order is in place for the other Super Mods.

Whithin each UnitType grouping, you have quite a bit of flexibility; the ships can either be in Alphabetic order based on the name alone given for the ship in EnglishNames or as in my case in numeric order based on the given name AND the Displacement value of the ship. So for example, the LST ship in my EnglishNames.cfg file is the first ship shown under Transports, because I named it "001 NLST Small Transport" and at 1,550 tons it is the smallest of my transports, while the LUS ship is the last ship under Transports, because I named it "022 NLUS Ocean Liner" and at 31,650 tons it is the largest of my Transports.

Likewise, I named all of the my 43 Tankers, 111 Merchants, 5 Tenders, 19 Coastals, and 125 Warships (BBs, CAs, CLs, DDs etc) in order of smallest to largest Displacement within each UnitType. For me, this order makes it a lot easier to find the ship in the Recognition Manual when you are pressed for time early in the hunting process. Hope this helps

Cheers,
EmeAzul

And:
This last part he described is very similar to the GWM Recognition Manual available with GWMv37 to add via JSGME.

It would be nice to standardize this, however, each supermod may have some differences in available ship types or names.  Also, if user adds optional mods that are available, such as Merchant Fleet Mod (MFM), or IABL's Fleet mod, etc., this creates differences in the Rec. Manual.

Not sure how/if you want to proceed sometime in the future with standardizing?
« Last Edit: 20211225, 15:18:42 by REV_BL!TZKR!EG »