Author Topic: Shock to all MultiPlayers: Tunngle is down for good and Evolve goes the same road  (Read 10302 times)

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• ...somewhere...below...
  • REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!

But you can follow their progress here:
https://www.tunngle.net/community/topic/212459-feedback-needed-589-test-files-download/

To me it all reads as if their only programmer is some Visual Basic-student. Very amateurish.

I would not say that when I was not a programmer myself, but the way they are dealing with this issue
is most amateurish. A logically thinking person that releases a new version of software and then
gets feedback that basic functions that used to work for years do no longer work in the latest version
would not imply to users are too dumb, but first REVERT to the last known working version and then
see where the coder himself made the mistake.

What they are doing over there is fishing in the dark without any clear direction so far.

And I would not say that if they had only ruined ONE update..., no they did just that before:
https://www.tunngle.net/community/topic/212825-once-again-a-broken-bad-update/

Follow the discussion!
https://www.tunngle.net/community/topic/215372-feedback-on-version-589/
« Last Edit: 20171125, 22:52:26 by BL!TZKR!EG »
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

⚡️ Home of S3A - S3F - S3G - DEFTS3 -

Offline REV_TheShark

• REViSi0N
  • ...is a good one!
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • DEF's QUARTERMASTER
    • #supportDEF
Re: TUNNGLE MESSED UP ONCE AGAIN BY ITS CREATORS!
« Reply #1 on: 20170628, 08:59:22 »
Blitz and all others!!

They have put another patch online yesterday!

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: TUNNGLE MESSED UP ONCE AGAIN BY ITS CREATORS!
« Reply #2 on: 20170629, 08:41:36 »
Thanks Shark, I had not noticed that.

I have yesterday tested that version 5.8.8.0V008 with Ducky of The Steel Sharks and posted a report in the thread you can find linked in post#1
The problem is that it is almost only me posting reports there, so they pushed the issue on my setup in the past
( I then proved them wrong anyway, but most people act annoyed when they are proved wrong...look at the Susi-moderators for example )

Also I have not received any reaction on my report despite that I even bestowed a screenshot.
» HONOR, AMISTAD Y RESPETO! Es mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas! «

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
The only thing that was changed was Tunngle and not SH3!
« Reply #3 on: 20170910, 17:34:50 »

Users can typically access Tungle no problem, but Silent Hunter III has problems communicating.
You are wording it as if SH3 is now the problem.

Please explain then why that very SH3 that has worked for years (AND WITH TUNNGLE until V5.8.6) would "out of sudden have problems communicating"
and what these "sudden" (=new?) problems are in detail.

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: Evolve
« Reply #4 on: 20180518, 09:05:24 »
I had seen it coming already when I had to acknowledge that I am discussing with ignorants that would not listen to valid arguments nor take note of facts (read here what I mean), but this is really something that I - myself being a paying supporter since the very first hours of that project! - would not have wished them:

Source: https://www.tunngle.net/

Farewell!

Very interesting.  Lets hope the same source of this closure does not make its way to Evolve. I hate to even think of that!

It does not appear that Multiplayer SH3, 4 or 5 is of much importance at susi. I did not see one post regarding Tungle's demise.

The Tunngle-Thread was one of MY threads. So those jerks must play ignorant...

That is hard to say, as it does not always recognize that every player is playing SH3. Evolve never seems to recognize that I am playing SH3, but it does recognize BL!TZ is playing SH3.

Probably just that their coding is screwed up a bit.  They should have gotten BL!TZ to write it!  ;D

Uh! Oh! Not again... but thanks  :P

I suspect it just reads from the running tasks if SH3.exe has got a handle. That's how I would do it.
At least that's the code I am now putting into the new version of S3F.

YES! THERE WILL BE AN UPDATE TO S3F!
« Last Edit: 20220409, 18:21:23 by REV_Grey Eminence »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: Evolve Party System Restored
« Reply #5 on: 20180613, 22:31:58 »
I find it amusing that none of those I am familiar with chose to close shop, only Tungle did that. Something very suspicious about Tungle doing that, more so because they touted having so many millions of customers

To me all that sounds like a foul excuse. Very fishy that smells...

The status-page ("https://status.evolvehq.com/") says there is a MAJOR OUTAGE on the PARTY SYSTEM.

A number of users are now putting pressure on the EVOLVE-team in a number of threads:

https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/system-status-party-system-temporary
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/party-system-is-down
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/could-not-create-new-party-because-the
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/party-system-status-temporary
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/temporary-maintenance-while-status-is
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/party-system-002
https://www.evolvehq.com/forums/evolve/topics/evolve-party-system-is-down
« Last Edit: 20210927, 07:51:41 by REV_Grey Eminence »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
Re: News from EVOLVE?
« Reply #6 on: 20180924, 20:38:17 »
So many bugs. The migration-process is a real PITA

1) That thing claims that my email address is invalid though it isn't.
2) The fricking client is only for Windows 10 - WHAT THE HECK?!
3) The support button they claim to offer on the bottom does NOT exist - it appears only after you manage to migrate (which did not work in my case because 1)

What a junk product!

Contacted their support and gave them this link.

Disappointing. Waiting so utterly long and then getting offered such an obvious junk.
« Last Edit: 20210927, 07:45:52 by REV_Grey Eminence »

gatordad

« Reply #7 on: 20180925, 01:02:40 »
Houston, we have a problem.

Reading their announcement, it looks like the end of MP on Evolve client 1.0 will be December 2018.

I don't know of any alternative that works, at least on my pc/win10.  The one I recently tried, can't recall the name, was an utter waste of time as I could never
get it to work, no matter what I tried.

This does not look good. Major bummer.

JAFO

One week until Evolve is dead. Whither DEF then?
« Reply #8 on: 20181102, 09:23:42 »
Ok.. so I exaggerated slightly. Evolve's Desktop App goes offline in 9 days, not 7. On November 11th, to be exact.

BL!TZ has sent out invitations for us to sign up at player.me. Fair enough.. I've done that.. you can find me there as DEF_JAFO.

But I see a problem looming. Player.me does NOT have a LAN/VPN system, nor do they appear to have any plans to implement one. All they are is yet another(!) gamer's social network. They are taking over the social side of Evolve, and integrating it into player.me, which for DEF is the least useful part of Evolve, and that is ALL they are doing. Pretty much the ONLY service they provide of any value for DEF members, is the ability to stream and record gaming sessions. Which there are plenty of other tools out there to do already.

If you read player.me's FAQs, the question about "Does Player.me support virtual LAN play?" simply says:
Player.me understands that multiplayer LAN parties are an important part of gaming for many.

For virtual LAN functionality, we recommend Bowstring—a simple but powerful new standalone app from the makers of EvolveHQ. You can sign-up for early access and other exclusive “friends of Evolve” benefits at http://hello.bowstri.ng

So, I signed up for EvolveHQ's new system "Bowstring" as well.. and all I got was a message telling me that I've been added to their mailing list. In other words, they are not yet providing a service, and there is no indication of how long until they do launch a service.

In other words, in 9 days, unless we make alternate arrangements, all online multiplayer for DEF is (very probably) about to come to a grinding halt.

So... where to from here?
« Last Edit: 20181102, 09:36:08 by DEF_JAFO »

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
« Reply #9 on: 20181102, 16:13:03 »
Your concern is valid.

But first of all: DON'T PANIC!

Anyway. I had thought ONLY EVOLVE WEB (="social side of Evolve") stops in NOV and we can use the network until DEC.

Where have you got that information from? My information - and I even put that onto our calendar! - was and is that cease of fire is DEC 13th.

This is my chat with ADAM of today:

15:06 adam: We haven't updated the site (and social media), but reached out via email (several times).
15:06 adam: again, doing the best we can.
15:07 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: mails all nice and good, but why stop a service unless a working and tested replacement is available?
15:07 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: when is bowstring launching?
15:07 adam: We decided to accelerate the shutdown due to lack of interest in Player.me. And they're paying the bills over here.
15:07 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: oh shhhh....
15:08 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: well it is crunch time then
15:08 adam: Bowstring is it's own thing and we're scrambling to stand something up beforehand.
15:08 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: bowstring is not guaranteed and we rely on vpn
15:08 adam: We thought we had more time, too.
15:08 adam: :(
15:08 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: so then it is settled, we HAVE to move out.
15:09 adam: Sorry dude. We can't afford to keep it running.
15:09 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: ok. i will pass this on. we  sure meet again, pal
15:10 DEF_BLITZKRIEG: we have taken enough disappointments now.
15:11 adam: haha. welcome to my world.
15:11 adam: I  understand and wish you the best of luck.
« Last Edit: 20210927, 07:47:50 by REV_Grey Eminence »

Offline REV_Grey Eminence

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
  • |REViSi0N| - what else?
Re: SH3 MultiPlayer-Situation 6 Years Later
« Reply #10 on: 20230119, 16:14:09 »
Looking back and resuming the time since Blitz made me an admin...

Tunngle went down after they tried to tell us it is an SH3 communication problem. What a bad joke!

Evolve is dead, too, after Adam sold his project and company and because
They'd pissed off a heck of a lot of people by selling Evolve off to a company that dropped the only feature everyone wanted. And to then ask money for what had been a free product.

Bowstring failed in his basic financing.

Channels on Discord are usually nothing besides silly beginners' talk going like "How do I install this and that, I cannot read instructions and I am awfully lazy, please do it for me" and meme-ridden content (oh-so-funny this, funny that), usually only 3-4 actually playing, if at all and everybody is trying to get folks into their discords instead of actually bringing people TOGETHER to play just as we in DEF always strived for.

Hamachi is an insecure joke. People with a sense do not use that.

Radmin is costly nonsense. People with half a brain do not pay for something that is elsewhere completely free (DEF has even free instructions).

Well, we in DEF have our FREE solution, but it seems nobody plays SH3-MP regularly AND IN SIGNIFICANT numbers higher than 3 or 4 anymore as can be seen in "Yet Another Discord Attempt" (YADA, YADA, YADA) on Steam. Nothing goes forward there as described earlier.

So if people would want to play, why do they not join DEF, and again, we offer a FREE solution (nothing expensive like Radmin) and we even have reporting tools programmed by Blitz and accounting and even score tables. And even a calendar to schedule efficient meetup times for play and we had a Teamspeak to meet on, too. But nobody wants to try all that?

Is it all oh so evil when Blitz has programmed it only because some arseholes from Subsim brainwash people into thinking that?

Why else do we lose members so often after oh-so-suddenly they are ill - but they never come back afterwards and never respond? Why is it that they ignore each and every mail we send them to get a life-sign? Are they suddenly brainwashed? Examples enough.

Can people not join here and make up their own mind?

Or are there no TRUE players of SH3-MP anymore and they only TALK about it?

GREY EMINENCE here on behalf of DEF: This game is only played by mentally twisted morons and otherwise is completely dead. Prove me wrong! [JOiN DEF & REGiSTER YOUR U-BOOT] and prove this is worth being maintained and that you play and/or finish a career and not only goof around and drop out because you embarrass yourself!

Offline REV_LEADER

• REViSi0N
  • ...making progress!
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: 20230119, 16:53:02 »
+1

Really well described!
THE TRUTH FEARS NO INVESTIGATION

- vivat europa pereat eu -

Offline REV_BL!TZKR!EG

• REViSi0N
  • one of the leaders
  • ELiTE Skill Level:
    100%
  • TECH ADMiN
    • Links!!
« Reply #12 on: 20230120, 11:30:05 »
+1

Nice summary and well said. I see that you also included one of my drafts that I stored here. No problem with that, mate.

Heck, does anybody still remember (or even have a backup of) our advertisement on Player.Me? Yes we had a page even there. But it totally went past me that that service has shut down, too, as you can see when you click on our page-link there.